Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Jen, a Curb and the Skateboarder

The holiday season is particularly insane this year and I am unable to write long, probing entries. Instead, I will endeavor to take note of something that happens to me, relay the specifics to you, and let you think about it.

Guide dog at my side, I was walking down the street in my neighborhood and came to a curb. The dog stopped. I didn't. I went over the very high curb and somehow gracefully landed gently on my butt so that I was sitting on the curb.

Someone who knows me slightly from our mutual love of a particular musician came up behind me on his skateboard. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah. the dog stopped. I didn't. I'm a klutz." I stood up and got back up on the curb waiting to cross the street.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Yeah, thanks. Fine."

"So the curb is a little bit in front of you and really high."

"Got it. I'm good. Really."

While standing in the middle of the street, he continues to describe the curb, advise me to be careful, and so forth. Finally, since his presence in the middle of the street makes it very safe to cross, I do so. Upon reaching the other side, I say, "There. I did it. You weren't going to leave until you saw me do it, were you?"

He says no and we both start walking. He tells me he's going to get a taco, I say yum, and he says he'll see me later at the show.

The end.

No comments: