Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Adding It Up

Over the past couple of years, as I work to sort out friendships and find some sense of community, I've learned a few things.
1. Friendships need to be equal, balanced, healthy, and reciprocal.
2. Having friendships that aren't these things is ultimately bad for me.
3. I cannot nor should I try to "compensate" my friends for the "hardships" of being friends with me.
4. As a friend, I actually am enough. In fact, in some ways, I sort of rock.
and then there's what I've figured out about social stuff and disability.
1. Most people cannot se past the fact of my disability to see the potential of me as friend.
2. Nothing I do will make me seem more or less tempting as friendship material to someone who cannot see past the fact of my disability.
3. A large chunk of those who see past the fact of my disability to me as a person are interested in friendship because I represent (to them) something as broken as they unconsciously see themselves.
4. a shockingly small number of people see me as a potential friend and also see me as a competent, vital adult.
5. All of this is because of how the world thinks about disability and how that has effected the probably unconscious thoughts of individuals.
If you add up the first and second set of things I've learned, you come up with this: I am going to have a very hard time finding friends, it is something I cannot change through how I behave, and it will lead to social isolation.
I learned an interesting fact last week. It seems that people outside a marginalized group are not very good judges of what it is like to be a part of that marginalized group. Outsiders are not able to assess degree of prejudice, significance of negative stereotypes, or amount of "suffering" marginalized group members "endure" because of their group status. In other words, people who don't have a disability equivalent to mine are not going to get it.
There's this great phrase: Disability is the responsibility of the disabled. For example, I get a print piece of mail. It is not amongst the acceptable options to call up the sender and demand they do something about it. Instead, I'm suppose to find someone to read it to me. Similarly, if I am amongst a group of people who are interacting based on sighted people rules, I am expected to find a way to play by those rules or accept that I will not be included. Should people in the group actually alter behavioral patterns so I can participate, it is done as a kindness not as a "no brainer" because of course you play by rules everyone can follow.
So, people are unlikely to see my social isolation as an artifact of disability and if they do, chances are they see it as a problem I should fix or tolerate because I'm the one with the disability.
Here's the funny thing: if you look at the social model of disability, where disability is a factor of how the world works, then the very world that is the architect of my situation refuses to do anything to deal with it. Should you look at disability from the medical model, where functional limitations based on physical difference cause disability, I am still not to blame for my circumstances, yet I am left to cope with their impact.
Now here's where I don't know if I'm being fair or reasonable. I'm angry and frustrated, and disappointed in the people who express affection toward me. The vast majority have consciously or unconsciously left me to deal with all of this on my own, yet supposedly care about me and my happiness. They will guide me around obstacles, read menus, and put up with guide dog fur in their cars, but they will not do anything to alleviate what I consider possibly the most fundamentally distressing consequence of disability in my life – soul eating social isolation.
Moreover, any efforts on the part of others to mitigate the situation have to come from a place of love and understanding not obligation and pity. I cannot beg, offer brownie bribes, or barter bread for behavioral changes. People either get it or they don't. they either do something or they don't.
In the past year, I have pruned friendships that weren't working well. I have tried to back off from the friends I have retained because constantly asking for time and attention finally struck me as unhealthy. Should I go through another round of trimming based on those who understand and help mitigate my isolation and those who do not, I'll be down to about four friends. I'm pretty sure that's not enough for an extravert, even a shy extravert.

No comments: