Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Why Not Saucer?

If you are familiar with The Spoon Theory of Chronic Illness, then you probably already see where I'm headed.
A few days ago, a new friend was trying to be supportive of me and my forgetfulness. Unaware of my chronic illness and the role it plays in my life, she said, "You just have a lot on your plate."
I thought, "Plate? It's more like a saucer."
I am currently quite taken with this concept. Plate has been used for quite some time to describe an imaginary space that encompasses everything going on in an individual's life. Of late this colloquialism is growing in popularity and I believe my saucer variation can accomplish much.
A change from plate to saucer will not be particularly confusing as the two are so clearly related. There is a comprehensible implication that something is smaller and unlike with The Spoon Theory, requires little explanation. In fact, I can foresee using it without anyone even realizing I've done something unusual.
While a subtle change, I anticipate great impact. With the substitution of one word, I am saying I have less resources available to handle whatever is happening in my life. It acts as a reminder of my chronic illnesses existence and its effect. People might just hear a word, but it has much meaning attached.
Part of the appeal is an economy of effort for I will use less energy to convey a complicated concept that often requires significant explanation. I can even shift the meaning easily by saying sandwich plate. I'm loving it. Besides, given the culinary theme, it fits right in with The Spoon Theory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today I learned about the spoon theory. Of course, TABs don't have an unlimited number of spoons any more than we have infinitely sized plates. We too are always looking for more and not finding any (at least I am). It's still a very good metaphor to get the experience across.